Attacks on Hindus and Hindu Dharma, both in Bharat and overseas, are frequent and unrelenting. In many regions of the world, this persecution is like a genocide slowly unfolding before our eyes. For decades, the true depth and breadth of these attacks, driven by disturbing anti-Hindu bigotry, have been ignored by the world. From murders, forced conversions, land grabs, assault on festivals, desecration of temples and murtis, hate speech, sexual violence to institutionalized & legal discrimination, Hindus are facing an increasing assault on their very existence along with an unprecedented Hindu hatred.
In this weekly summary for the period from 20 February to 26 February 2022, we hope to provide a snapshot of such crimes and hopefully awaken more people around the world to this human rights crisis:
1) 37-year-old CK Deepu, a Dalit activist and member of the Twenty20 party succumbed to injuries on Friday, February 18 near Kizhakkambalam in Ernakulam district. Police arrested Abdul Rahman (36), PA Zainuddin (27), Abdul Aziz (45), and NA Muhammed Basheer (36).
2) The Abujmarh case is a perfect example of how Christian missionaries wreak havoc by turning family members against each other. When the villagers saw the rising threat of Christian conversion to their indigenous religion and asked those who had converted to leave, the children lodged a false complaint against their families and villagers with the Kukdajhor Police Station alleging robbery and assault.
3) 26-year-old Harsha, a local Bajrang Dal worker, has been brutally hacked to death in Shivamogga, Karnataka. His crime? He was a supporter of continuing the uniform dress code in place in Karnataka’s government schools and PU colleges for years, which a handful of Muslim girl students influenced by CFI suddenly demanded be changed to allow hijab in classrooms.
4) 18-year-old Mukul Adhikari from Almora district in Uttarakhand was brutally stabbed to death by Irshad in Delhi. Since the perpetrator was an Islamist with a criminal history and the victim a Hindu, the news barely made it to the so-called secular national media.
5) The Delhi Police has registered an FIR on the complaint of a lady doctor who has alleged that her landlord Shabu Qureshi and his friends threatened her to convert to Islam. The FIR was registered in the Shaheen Bagh police station in South East Delhi on Monday (February 14). Shabu Qureshi, Ikhlaq, Aslam, Iqbal, and others entered the victim’s house forcefully and threatened her to convert or face the consequences. She has alleged that Qureshi told her that murti puja would not be allowed at his place and brought a maulvi to convert her 18-month-old son.
6) As the hijab row rages on, in the latest attack on Hindus it has come to light that RSS Nagar Pracharak was grievously injured in a protest at Kanpur’s Ghatampur. This news comes close on the heels of the brutal murder of 26-year-old Bajrang Dal activist Harsha at Shivamogga. Incidentally, both the attacks took place on Sunday.
7) District General Secretary of Bharatiya Janata Party Yuva Morcha (BJYM), Krishna Yadav (28), was shot dead in Uttar Pradesh’s Hathras district on Sunday afternoon.
8) Gaurakshaks who tried to prevent cows from being illegally smuggled were attacked by Islamists in Telangana. As they took shelter in a temple, the smugglers chased them and entered the temple to attack them.
9) A self-proclaimed Christian activist and writer in Tamil Nadu has openly called for religious conversion “to stop BJP’s growth” in the state. A DMK sympathizer, the so-called activist expressed her fear that atheism will only benefit BJP which will use it as a weapon to strengthen its spread across the state. However, even DMK sympathizers, who have views similar to her told her that conversion will give fuel to BJP to further polarise the state and gain electorally.
10) Mahamad Ali alias Makkabula Meersab Kolakar, 57 was arrested after he raped, murdered, and robbed a Hindu tribal woman in the Dharwad district of Karnataka. The victim was identified as Lakshmi Kallimani and she was just 27 years old.
11) The victory of a temple activist has caused a meltdown among the DMK sympathizers. Uma Anandhan (66) is the Vice President of the Temple Worshippers Society had contested in ward number 134 of the Greater Chennai Corporation.
12) Islamist radicals attacked another Hindu youth in Karnataka, this time over a social media post regarding the 18th-century tyrant Tipu Sultan. On February 19th, Prakash Lonare had replied with a ‘laughing emoji’ to a post dedicated to Tipu which triggered the assault.
13) Tension continued to grip Sarkar Mandi street in Gandhi Road, Vellore, and a heavy police posse has been deployed after the Hindu Munnai opposed the sudden appearance of a mosque in the area.
14) 30-year-old Rahim Hanif Shaikh entered a school in Rapar, Kutch district of Gujarat on February 21. When questioned by teachers, he said he is the ‘uncle’ of an 11-year-old Hindu girl studying in grade 6. Shaikh then forcefully celebrated the girl’s birthday in her classroom, took a selfie, and gave her a gift box.
15) Four people, including three women, have been booked for allegedly killing a 35-year-old Dalit woman in Muzaffarnagar district. Station house officer (SHO) K.P. Singh said that a case has been registered against accused Ameer Alam and three women on a complaint filed by Pushpa’s husband.
16) A Ganesha temple in TN temple has been demolished as it reportedly encroached government land. Devotees and Hindu organizations staged a protest against the demolition. Yet the heart-wrenching cries of the devotees were muffled by the roar of the earthmover as the temple was pulled down.
17) The Mangaluru police have registered an FIR against admins of a Facebook page called “Mangalore Muslims” for inciting hatred and violence by posting derogatory content about the 26-year-old Bajrang Dal leader Harsha.
1) Anti-Hindu and anti-Bharat propaganda are at their peak with an online conference titled ‘Indian on the brink – Preventing Genocide’ scheduled to be held from February 26 to 28.
2) On February 21, Hindu businessman Amar Sarker was hacked to death at Narayanpur Bazar, Motlab South P. S, Chandpur district.
2) Mohammad Nazmul, Iqbal & Biplob brutally attacked Jony Chandra Shill and his family members at Goulabaria, Shitakundha, Chittagong on February 22.
Most hate crimes are driven by anti-Hindu bigotry encoded in certain religious teachings and political ideologies. While the anti-Hindu hate in Islamic countries is obvious, there is another subtler form of anti-Hindu sentiment within institutions and the public sphere of ostensibly secular states (like India) that provides an enabling environment for Hinduphobia and hate crimes. This subtle, everyday discrimination can be missed unless one studies prevailing laws and patterns. The gradual ban on firecrackers during Diwali is a good example – it might seem pollution-related on the surface, but the double standards at play become clear when one looks at the larger picture of restrictions on Hindu festivals, and the lack of sound reasoning behind the ban.
We request all readers to share other anti-Hindu hate crimes that we might have missed in this period in the comments below or by dropping an email to [email protected] We also solicit support in the maintenance of the Hindu human rights tracker database started by us.