Attacks on Hindus and Hindu Dharma, both in Bharat and overseas, are frequent and unrelenting. In many regions of the world, this persecution is like a genocide slowly unfolding before our eyes. For decades, the true depth and breadth of these attacks, driven by disturbing anti-Hindu bigotry, have been ignored by the world. From murders, forced conversions, land grabs, assault on festivals, desecration of temples and murtis, hate speech, and sexual violence to institutionalized & legal discrimination, Hindus are facing an increasing assault on their very existence along with an unprecedented Hindu hatred.
In this weekly summary for the period from 19 June to 25 June 2022, we hope to provide a snapshot of such crimes and hopefully awaken more people around the world to this human rights crisis:
1) Five people have been booked for forcibly converting an orphan into Islam and performing circumcision in Uttar Pradesh. The 9-year-old boy was physically assaulted, abused, and sold to a Muslim couple who converted him.
2) A newly married woman was abducted in Uttar Pradesh’s (UP) Meerut by two Muslims who attempted to forcibly convert her to Islam. As per reports, the woman was abducted from the Partapur Bazaar by Asif and his brother-in-law Dilshad. The duo kept her for two days at a Bulandshahr Masjid where they attempted to convert her forcibly.
3) A 40-year-old man was lynched to death for protecting his two teenage daughters from sexual harassment by some men in their locality. The victim, a small-time farmer, succumbed to his injuries after three days of treatment. According to reports, the incident took place at Madhavpur village in Pilibhit district on June 16.
4) Three Muslims have been arrested for assaulting a 26-year-old Hindu man identified as Sriram for reportedly putting up a status supporting former BJP spokesperson Nupur Sharma. An official of the MIDC police station in Solapur confirmed the arrest. Narendra Sriram, the complainant, changed his WhatsApp status message on June 11 to support Sharma whose comment about Muhammad had kicked up a huge row, the official said.
5) A married Hindu woman’s maternal uncle has been lynched to death by her stalker Mohammed Ajlam Nadaf in the Darbhanga district of Bihar. Two other relatives of the woman – another uncle and a brother – were seriously injured in the attack by Nadaf and his family.
6) Kerala police disgraced and transferred Biju Prakash, the station house officer (SHO) attached to the Mayyil police station in Kannur after he appealed to the local masjid committee to ensure communal harmony. He is the latest victim to feel the brunt of naked Muslim appeasement that the communist regime has unleashed on Hindus.
7) Islamist cleric Hamid Engineer has openly threatened Nupur Sharma saying she signed her suicide note by ‘insulting’ Muhammad. He also said that Kamlesh Tiwari was killed after five years.
8) A Hindu woman hailing from Muzaffarnagar was abducted by her acquaintance Ayan who attempted to convert her to Islam in Meerut. The police have recovered the woman.
9) Baba Biryani House owner Mukhtar Baba has been arrested for funding and instigating the Kanpur violence. As per reports, he instigated the violence to ‘save’ his building that had been illegally constructed on the land belonging to the Ram Janaki Temple.
Abduction, rape, forced conversion, and marriage of minor Hindu girls are common occurrences in the Islamic Republic of Pakistan. At least 1000 minority girls suffer such sex slavery every year in Sindh province alone. Apart from this, Pakistani Hindus face systemic and institutionalized discrimination and neglect, such as frequent attacks on Hindu temples, demonization of education curriculum, police and judicial antipathy, denial of fundamental rights, and even untouchability.
1) A newborn was beheaded and the head was left inside the Hindu woman’s womb thereby putting her life in jeopardy. The horrifying incident took place on Sunday, June 19 at the Rural Hospital Chachro in Pakistan’s Sindh province. The 32-year-old Hindu woman has been identified as Dharma Bheel’s wife Maluka.
Attacks on Hindus in Bangladesh are relentless and designed to gradually cleanse the religious minority from the country. As per a study by Prof. Abul Barakat of Dhaka University, there will be no Hindus left in Bangladesh by 2050 due to systemic and institutionalized persecution. Temple desecration, land grabbing, mob attacks after false blasphemy charges, rape/forced conversion of women, and hate speech are some of the tools used to intimidate and drive Hindus out.
1) Mufti said he wants to ‘marry’ Maa Durga, an Islamist politician denigrated Vedas and a mob burned down Hindu homes amid massive anti-Bharat protests.
2) Hindus were attacked by Mohammad Alamgir, Azizul Huq, Sahazahan, and others on June 18 (Tweet archived)
2) College teacher Swapan Kumar Biswas and student Rahul were accused based on fake information and charged with blasphemy (Tweet archived).
1) The Islamic State Khorasan Province (ISKP), an affiliate of the terror outfit Islamic State, has released a video threatening attacks in Bharat targeting Hindus in connection with former BJP spokespersons Nupur Sharma’s alleged blasphemous remarks against Muhammad.
Most hate crimes are driven by anti-Hindu bigotry encoded in certain religious teachings and political ideologies. While the anti-Hindu hate in Islamic countries is obvious, there is another subtler form of anti-Hindu sentiment within institutions and the public sphere of ostensibly secular states (like India) that provides an enabling environment for Hinduphobia and hate crimes. This subtle, everyday discrimination can be missed unless one studies prevailing laws and patterns. The gradual ban on firecrackers during Diwali is a good example – it might seem pollution-related on the surface, but the double standards at play become clear when one looks at the larger picture of restrictions on Hindu festivals, and the lack of sound reasoning behind the ban.
We request all readers to share other anti-Hindu hate crimes that we might have missed in this period in the comments below or by dropping an email to [email protected] We also solicit support in the maintenance of the Hindu human rights tracker database started by us.