Attacks on Hindus and Hindu Dharma, both in Bharat and overseas, are frequent and unrelenting. In many regions of the world, this persecution is like a genocide slowly unfolding before our eyes. For decades, the true depth and breadth of these attacks, driven by disturbing anti-Hindu bigotry, have been ignored by the world. From murders, forced conversions, land grabs, assault on festivals, desecration of temples and murtis, hate speech, and sexual violence to institutionalized & legal discrimination, Hindus are facing an increasing assault on their very existence along with an unprecedented Hindu hatred.
In this weekly summary for the period from 1 May to 7 May 2022, we hope to provide a snapshot of such crimes and hopefully awaken more people around the world to this human rights crisis:
1) A Christian Headmaster has been arrested for sexually assaulting a 7th-grade girl in Tamil Nadu. He was caught by the locals as he tried to escape in his car. Angry locals thrashed him before handing him over to the police.
2) A shocking incident of Grooming Jihad is reported from Bareilly district of Uttar Pradesh where a minor girl was rescued from an abduction attempt by a man called Kasim who posed as Rahul to befriend the girl. The man has been arrested by the police.
3) A disturbing case of grooming and murder has been unearthed from Mumbai’s Goregaon West. 23-year-old bakery owner Mohammed Ansari was arrested for brutally killing 18-year-old Hindu girl Sonam Shukla. The girl, residing in Goregaon’s Prem Nagar area, was preparing for her NEET examinations.
4) Mass food poisoning from consuming contaminated meat shawarma led to the death of a 16-year-old girl in Kasaragod, Kerala, and 52 were hospitalized. Those affected had stale meat from Ideal Coolbar at Cheruvathoor bus stand. Eight victims are in intensive care units, and the condition of another young girl is serious. Doctors said that she is suffering from cardiac seizures.
5) A senior police officer said Yunus, 48 — brother of Salim Chikna who has already been arrested, and Sheikh Salim — 22, were arrested after scanning the CCTV footage. Both were arrested on Sunday night.
6) Miscreants tore down banners of Bhagwan Parshuram in Gujarat’s Ahmedabad ahead of the Parshuram Jayanti celebrations. They also reportedly damaged the Bhagwan Shri Parshuram Chowk signboard in the city’s Vasna area.
7) A pastor has encroached on the property of a Hindu family worth Rs.12 crore in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. The family members after trying and failing to get it back protested on their knees while petitioning CM’s special cell to help them recover the property. The pastor rented the property 42 years ago, built a church on it, and refuses to either pay rent or move out of the property now.
8) A Hindu man Nagaraju was reportedly murdered in a case of honor killing by his Muslim wife Ashrin Sulthana’s family. The couple was in a relationship for a few years before tying the knot in January this year. Sulthana’s relatives have been arrested by the police.
9) A shocking case has been reported from the Kadma area of Jamshedpur in Jharkhand where Parvez Alam, who is a sports teacher at a private school, is accused of raping an 8th standard boy. The matter came to light on May 1 when the minor attempted suicide.
10) A Catholic Church in Tamil Nadu has built a wall blocking the public pathway in a village as the Hindu residents refused to convert. Hindus have alleged that their children studying in the church-run school are denied education for the same reason.
11) A DMK councilor has obstructed puja in a temple and threatened the pujari for resisting her atrocities. She entered the temple in nightwear and demeaned the pujari in public. She reportedly harassed the pujari for ringing bells during puja. HRCE officials buckled under her pressure and fired the pujari on false charges.
12) In Tamil Nadu, a Hindu woman has accused a Muslim man of threatening to release her nude pictures and torturing her for refusing to convert to Islam. The man hid his identity to befriend her and later forced her to get into a love affair.
13) Two shocking cases of rape have shaken the Firozabad district in Uttar Pradesh. In the first incident, a youth shot a video of a married woman taking bath. The accused threatened the victim to upload the video online and sexually abused her since last year. In the second incident, a minor girl was raped while sleeping in her room. The police have filed a complaint against a married couple in this case.
Attacks on Hindus in Bangladesh are relentless and designed to gradually cleanse the religious minority from the country. As per a study by Prof. Abul Barakat of Dhaka University, there will be no Hindus left in Bangladesh by 2050 due to systemic and institutionalized persecution. Temple desecration, land grabbing, mob attacks after false blasphemy charges, rape/forced conversion of women, and hate speech are some of the tools used to intimidate and drive Hindus out.
1) The Sylhet unit of BNP arranged the iftar party, attended by at least 20 leaders and activists from the Hindu community on Thursday. All the plates were served with traditional items alongside beef while no exception was made even for the Hindu attendees.
Most hate crimes are driven by anti-Hindu bigotry encoded in certain religious teachings and political ideologies. While the anti-Hindu hate in Islamic countries is obvious, there is another subtler form of anti-Hindu sentiment within institutions and the public sphere of ostensibly secular states (like India) that provides an enabling environment for Hinduphobia and hate crimes. This subtle, everyday discrimination can be missed unless one studies prevailing laws and patterns. The gradual ban on firecrackers during Diwali is a good example – it might seem pollution-related on the surface, but the double standards at play become clear when one looks at the larger picture of restrictions on Hindu festivals, and the lack of sound reasoning behind the ban.
We request all readers to share other anti-Hindu hate crimes that we might have missed in this period in the comments below or by dropping an email to [email protected] We also solicit support in the maintenance of the Hindu human rights tracker database started by us.