Attacks on Hindus and Hindu Dharma, both in Bharat and overseas, are frequent and unrelenting. In many regions of the world, this persecution is like a genocide slowly unfolding before our eyes. For decades, the true depth and breadth of these attacks, driven by disturbing anti-Hindu bigotry, have been ignored by the world. From murders, forced conversions, land grabs, assault on festivals, desecration of temples and murtis, hate speech, sexual violence to institutionalized & legal discrimination, Hindus are facing an increasing assault on their very existence along with an unprecedented Hindu hatred.
In this weekly summary for the period from 30 January to 5 February 2022, we hope to provide a snapshot of such crimes and hopefully awaken more people around the world to this human rights crisis:
1) The Gujarat ATS arrested Maulana (Muslim cleric) Qamar Gani Usmani in connection with the murder of Kishan Bharwad who was shot dead in Dhandhuka city by bike-borne Islamists for uploading a video on social media that proclaimed Sri Krishna as the most powerful god.
2) A Hindu man RSS functionary Ganesh Babu has been arrested by Tamil Nadu police for lodging a complaint against evangelists. The evangelists, two women, proselytized in a village where only Hindus live and were confronted by the villagers for abusing Hindu deities. Instead of taking action against the proselytizers who acted in such a manner to disturb the communal harmony, local police arrested an RSS functionary who filed a complaint against the evangelists.
3) Doctor’s minor 8-year-old son kidnapped and killed by sacked employees Shahid and Nijam in UP’s Bulandshahr.
4) Three Muslim men – Abdul Rashid, Nazbul Hussain, and Mohammad Arif Khan – have been arrested in Manipur for slaughtering a cow on the BJP flag. They have been booked under various sections of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1960.
5) 27-year-old Mohammed Nazim has been arrested from Chathanoor in Kollam district, Kerala. Nazim who is married and has a child from his previous marriage recently groomed a Hindu girl and when she became pregnant, he kicked her in the abdomen and killed his unborn child.
6) A new video of evangelist Mohan C Lazarus revealing how tuition centers are used to proselytize and young children are brainwashed into working for evangelists. In a live televangelism program, the pastor described how evangelists, under the guise of helping weak students through tuition classes, convert them and coerce them to convert others.
7) In the past 11 years of TMC (mis)rule, West Bengal has witnessed a huge spike in rapes and crimes against women. The situation keeps worsening with more such cases coming to the fore. This time, a deaf and mute girl was pulled into a cab, raped, and robbed in a central area of Kolkata. The accused has been identified as cab driver Kamre Alam.
8) On 17th January, we saw a brutal incident in Sultanpuri Delhi, where a Hindu man Hiralal Gujarati was killed by Irfan Siddiqui and his brother Sanu. Here the most unfortunate part was that Irfan was earlier imprisoned for raping Hiralal’s sister but recently managed to come out on bail. Hiralal’s family has claimed that Irfan is a close companion of Mukesh Ahlawat, the local MLA of Aam Aadmi Party (AAP).
9) Even as the death of a Hindu girl in Thanjavur due to conversion attempts is being downplayed by the media and DMK government, another incident of an attempt to convert by enticement has come to light. Sanitation workers of Thanjavur corporation were reportedly approached by a man who said Rs.3 lakhs will be offered to those who embrace Christianity.
10) Two Hindu girls were drugged and abducted by a group of 4 Muslims and raped by 2 of them. Both survivors are from SC (Scheduled Caste) community.
11) Several hundred square feet of prime property on platform number six at Majestic railway station in Bengaluru originally earmarked for railway porters had been illegally transformed into a masjid. This didn’t go down well with the locals and several Hindu Organizations warned the railways to take action or be prepared for resistance. Hindu Janajagruti Samiti (HJS) wrote to Indian Railways condemning the conversion of the restroom into a place of prayer by Islamists.
12) Punjab politics has taken an interesting turn with Sunil Jakhar, former President of Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee, claiming that the Congress high command (Nehru-Gandhis) chose Charanjeet Singh Channi over him despite the fact that a majority of the MLAs favored him after former CM Captain Amarinder Singh quit the post. He further said that it wasn’t his rejection but that he was rejected for being a Hindu that upset him.
13) Three more persons were arrested by the Delhi Police on Thursday in connection with the firing incident that took place in Angoori Bagh near the Red Fort on Monday night. A senior police officer said that the accused have been identified as Mohammed Kaif, Mohammed Shoaib alias Shubhi, and Mohammed Kaif.
14) In a gory incident that has sent shockwaves in the region, Feroze Mohammed attacked Sandeep Dudhia with a knife on Saturday (January 29) in western UP’s Baghpat and slit his throat.
15) Communal tension prevailed in Radhanpur town in Patan district, North Gujarat after a Hindu woman was reportedly attacked by a Muslim youth named Yasin Majikhan Baloch when she was alone at her home. As per a report by web portal DeshGujarat, Yasin arrived at her place and insisted on marrying her. However, when she refused he got angry and threatened to kill her.
1) On October 13, 2021, Dijoy Bhowmik was the victim of the latest series attacked on Hindus in Krishnapur, Sadar Comilla, Bangladesh. He already lost his eyesight. Bangladesh government didn’t take any step to support for treatment who are severely victims of communal attacked in BD.
1) The former Vice-President’s anti-Bharat rant at a virtual panel discussion organized by Jamaat-e-Islami Pakistani-backed Indian American Muslim Council (IAMC) where he talked about the resurgence of cultural nationalism as opposed to civic nationalism was deplorable coming from a former top diplomat.
Most hate crimes are driven by anti-Hindu bigotry encoded in certain religious teachings and political ideologies. While the anti-Hindu hate in Islamic countries is obvious, there is another subtler form of anti-Hindu sentiment within institutions and the public sphere of ostensibly secular states (like India) that provides an enabling environment for Hinduphobia and hate crimes. This subtle, everyday discrimination can be missed unless one studies prevailing laws and patterns. The gradual ban on firecrackers during Diwali is a good example – it might seem pollution-related on the surface, but the double standards at play become clear when one looks at the larger picture of restrictions on Hindu festivals, and the lack of sound reasoning behind the ban.
We request all readers to share other anti-Hindu hate crimes that we might have missed in this period in the comments below or by dropping an email to [email protected] We also solicit support in the maintenance of the Hindu human rights tracker database started by us.