Attacks on Hindus and Hindu Dharma, both in Bharat and overseas, are frequent and unrelenting. In many regions of the world, this persecution is like a genocide slowly unfolding before our eyes. For decades, the true depth and breadth of these attacks, driven by disturbing anti-Hindu bigotry, have been ignored by the world. From murders, forced conversions, land grabs, assault on festivals, desecration of temples and murtis, hate speech, sexual violence to institutionalized & legal discrimination, Hindus are facing an increasing assault on their very existence along with an unprecedented Hindu hatred.
In this weekly summary for the period from 12 September to 18 September 2021, we hope to provide a snapshot of such crimes and hopefully awaken more people around the world to this human rights crisis:
1) An ancient temple in Karnataka has been demolished by the government authorities without even serving notice. The 600-800-year-old Mahadevamma and Kala Bhairava temple in Nanjangud was demolished in the wee hours of September 7. Many in social media including Mysuru MP Pratap Simha condemned the insensitive approach of the district administration.
2) The Mahoba police arrested a man for allegedly luring people for conversion. The arrested person has been identified as Ashish John, a resident of Alipura in the Panwadi area, who had tried to convert several people by luring them financially.
3) Following a recent internal study, the College of Defence Management (CDM) recommended exploring ways of organizing relevant teachings from ancient Bharatiya Hindu texts such as Kautilya’s Arthashastra and Bhagavad Gita into the current military training curriculum. The Congress party opposed it and tried to use this proposal to create doubt amongst our military thinkers by giving it a communal colour.
4) The trail of political murders continues in West Bengal even as the CBI investigates the murders of numerous BJP workers and leaders that have plagued the state since TMC’s electoral victory in May 2021. BJP worker Debashish Shil was lynched to death in Medinipur town’s Barabazar area on September 7. His wife has accused the TCM party cadres of killing Debashish for being a BJP worker.
5) BJP MP Arjun Singh’s residence on the outskirts of Kolkata was freshly attacked using crude bombs at around 8:30 AM on Tuesday morning. Goons tried to target the backyard of his house in Jagatdal, North 24 Parganas district. The latest attack comes a week after a similar incident was reported targeting the same residence!
6) Shamnas, a native of Kannur, was arrested by the Alappuzha police in a grooming jihad case from Kerala. According to the complaint, the girl who refused to convert to Islam was sexually abused and her nude pictures were shared on social media.
7) Hindu icons and their actions and views are being increasingly appropriated, distorted, and force-fitted into the ‘secular’ narrative of the country. CJI N.V. Ramana wants Hindus to practice secularism.
8) In Patna, three pregnant cows belonging to a dairy farmer named Rajesh Kumar Gond were charred to death after his neighbor Mintu Qureshi allegedly set the cowshed on fire. Rajesh said that Qureshi carried out this inhuman incident due to prior animosity and hatred. Locals allege that police initially tried to hush up the incident by refusing to file an FIR but were forced to after Shri Ram Sena members picked up the issue.
9) Ahead of Durga Puja, a proclaimed ‘artist’ from West Bengal, Sanatan Dinda, violated Hindu Dharma and Hindu sentiments by posting a sketch of Maa Durga wearing the Muslim hijab and a niqab. As repugnant as a sketch could get, Maa Durga’s lipstick can be seen smeared across her mouth and her niqab and her eyes are brimming with tears reflecting fear in the drawing.
10) A 65-year-old man, Anwar Khan, has been arrested for raping a 12-year-old girl at a village in Maharashtra’s Jalna district. The rapist who has five children and grandchildren escaped from the scene of the crime but was arrested on Tuesday.
11) National-level kho-kho player Babli Rani (24) was strangled to death in Bijnor, UP last Friday by railway laborer Shahzad (26) after she resisted his attempt to rape her.
12) Sunny Sinha, a private bank employee was stabbed to death by a gang led by Mohammed Ladla in the Purnea district of Bihar. Just prior to the incident, local police let go Mohammed with a ‘warning’ after locals informed them that goons were creating a ruckus in the area. Outraged locals said that police inaction killed Sinha.
13) Policeman Bantoo Sharma and laborer Shankar Choudhary were killed by terrorists in the Nehama area of South Kashmir’s Kulgam district on Friday.
14) A Malayalam TV actress and social media influencer Nimisha Bijo and her friend Unni were arrested on September 10 by Pathanamthitta district police in Kerala for violating the sanctity of the temple and violating the tradition by stepping into ’Palliyodam’ (a ceremonial snake boat) at Aranmula temple wearing footwear. These boats are kept in special sheds named Palliyoda Pura where entry of outsiders is restricted.
15) A Hindu named Sachin has complained to police that a Christian preacher has been harassing him to convert to Christianity and has also offered monetary benefits if he converts. Sachin has been unemployed and physically ill for some time and seeing his vulnerable state, the preacher has been brainwashing him over his condition.
16) The prime accused in a murder case has confessed that he killed and buried his paramour Suchna Mandal in a fit of rage. The murder mystery has been solved after four months.
17) A Hindu woman from Kanpur has alleged love jihad by her husband who she knew as Deepak but was actually Adil Ali Baig and was already married. The woman went to the police and got her husband arrested.
18) Tarapur Police have booked a man identified as Munaf Iqbal Vhora for hurting religious sentiments by posting derogatory comments about Hindu Gods on Facebook. As per reports, Iqbal, a residence of Mohammadi Society in Tarapur in Anand district of Gujarat, had published a post with derogatory remarks for Hindu gods on his Facebook profile that had gone viral in Tarapur.
19) The National Investigation Agency (NIA) has filed a supplementary charge sheet against a terrorist of the banned Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) in the Al-Hind module case. The charge sheet reveals that the ISIS terrorists plotted to amass weapons and explosives in order to kill police personnel and Hindu political leaders.
1) Armed Islamists in the Sindh province of Pakistan, abducted and gang-raped a Hindu girl named Tamanna Meghwad for over three months. They forced her to convert to Islam. Somehow, she escaped and returned home to her parents.
2) A Hindu woman was beaten till she fell unconscious in Khipro.
3) Hindu men, women, and children are beaten, detained, and insulted for hours for drinking water from a public water dispenser outside a Mosque in Chak 106P Rahimyar Khan-Pakistan. They were released when they repent & promise that they will never come again near Mosque and water.
1) In a hate crime that has shaken Hindus, especially those living in Canada and the USA, a Hindu family has been attacked by 2 youths – one Caucasian and the other Asian – in Mississauga, Canada.
2) Over the last few weeks, Hindus in Aotearoa have been actively trying to engage with Massey University to raise concerns and issues regarding a publication promoting Hinduphobia and Hindumisia. The paper titled ‘Cultural Hindutva and Islamophobia’ was authored by Prof. Mohan J. Dutta, Dean’s Chair Professor in Communication, School of Communication, Journalism and Marketing, Massey University.
3) Two Hinduphobic hate crimes have been reported from North America. In the first case, signboards proclaiming “No Dotheads” have sprung up in a residential neighborhood in Atlanta, USA. Dothead is a derogatory slur used for Hindus and refers to the bindi worn by Hindu women.
Most hate crimes are driven by anti-Hindu bigotry encoded in certain religious teachings and political ideologies. While the anti-Hindu hate in Islamic countries is obvious, there is another subtler form of anti-Hindu sentiment within institutions and the public sphere of ostensibly secular states (like India) that provides an enabling environment for Hinduphobia and hate crimes. This subtle, everyday discrimination can be missed unless one studies prevailing laws and patterns. The gradual ban on firecrackers during Diwali is a good example – it might seem pollution-related on the surface, but the double standards at play become clear when one looks at the larger picture of restrictions on Hindu festivals, and the lack of sound reasoning behind the ban.
We request all readers to share other anti-Hindu hate crimes that we might have missed in this period in the comments below or by dropping an email to [email protected]. We also solicit support in the maintenance of the Hindu human rights tracker database started by us.