Attacks on Hindus and Hindu Dharma, both in Bharat and overseas, are frequent and unrelenting. In many regions of the world, this persecution is like a genocide slowly unfolding before our eyes. For decades, the true depth and breadth of these attacks, driven by disturbing anti-Hindu bigotry, have been ignored by the world. From murders, forced conversions, land grabs, assault on festivals, desecration of temples and murtis, hate speech, and sexual violence to institutionalized & legal discrimination, Hindus are facing an increasing assault on their very existence along with an unprecedented Hindu hatred.
In this weekly summary for the period from 12 June to 18 June 2022, we hope to provide a snapshot of such crimes and hopefully awaken more people around the world to this human rights crisis:
1) Tamil media has reported an attempt at forced conversion to Christianity from a tea plantation owned by Ripple Tea from Munnar, Kerala. Gopi, son of a deceased cancer patient named Rani who worked at the Kanan Devan Hills Plantations Company Private Ltd. (KDHP), complained to the Kerala Chief Minister, alleging that KDPH management refused pension benefits. They denied her benefits since the family refused to convert from Hindu Dharma to Christianity, he alleged.
2) Karnataka police have arrested two persons on charges of stealing a pregnant cow and slaughtering it for money in the Hennur police station area of Bengaluru. The accused are identified as Syed Barkat, a resident of HBR Layout, and Mohammad Imran of Bilal Nagar near Pillanna Garden. The police have launched a hunt for another accused Sohail in connection with the case.
3) Four police personnel were injured on Sunday in mob violence in Gujarat’s Borsad town after the police tried to stop illegal construction on local municipality land adjacent to a dargah (Muslim shrine). Later, rumors started doing the rounds that minority community members were ‘cornered.
4) Madurai Adheenam (Shaivite Math) pontiff Sri La Sri Harihara Sri Gnanasambanda Desika Swamigal, who is known to not mince words, is now being targeted by Stalin-led DMK (Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam). DMK mouthpiece Murasoli issued a veiled threat to the pontiff and reminded him about the arrest of Kanchi Math seer Jayendra Saraswati Swamigal.
5) Dravidianists, seculars, and others of the cabal have time and again displayed their Hindu hate. TN Governor RN Ravi has now become the target of the anti-Hindu cabal. They are always on the lookout for an opportunity to spew anti-Hindu venom and the governor’s remarks on Santana Dharma have irked the Hindumisic cabal.
6) In another grooming case Rachna, who had eloped and married Mohammed Irfan a few years ago, was recently found dead. Irfan was jailed on charges of domestic violence and forced conversion based on Rachna’s complaint and was out on bail. The woman’s father has alleged that his daughter was murdered by her husband.
7) Mir Shafiqa, a recently resigned leader of the J&K BJP unit, has condemned the core Hindu practice of murti puja, committing sacrilege and hurting the sentiments of 1 billion+ Hindus in Bharat and across the world.
8) Disappointed by Bollywood, the Hindus had just turned toward the South Indian film industry. But, in a recent Great Andhra interview, Sai Pallavi proved that the show biz fraternity harbors the same anti-Hindu sentiment across Bharat.
9) Hindu exodus has been reported from Narsinghpur District’s Mahajani Tola in Madhya Pradesh (MP). This Muslim-majority area witnessed stone-pelting on Hindus following which the victims have been forced to move out. According to one of the victims, the number of Hindus in the area is very less, and hence, radical Islamists take advantage of this fact to pressurize them into leaving the area.
10) Amid the VVIP presence in Kanpur Dehat, at least six persons were injured after a communal flare-up in a locality of Kanpur Nagar as members of the minority community clashed with the majority community people and also the police on Friday. According to sources, the violence broke out and culminated in heavy stone-pelting between two communities in the Becongunj area near Yatimkhana after the members of the minority community, during a protest against the alleged blasphemous statement made against Prophet Mohammad by BJP spokesperson Nupur Sharma, started forcing shops of the locality to close down. As members of the majority community protested against the forcible closure, it led to clashes between the two communities followed by heavy stone-pelting.
11) On Wednesday, June 15, when two Nihang Sikhs murdered Zomato food delivery executive Sagar Singh (29) in west Delhi’s Tilak Nagar. It is believed they stabbed Sagar in the chest with a kirpan and then smashed his head with bricks. Sagar lay in a pool of blood for around 20 minutes, his family claimed, before another food delivery executive called an ambulance. But it was too late and was declared brought dead by doctors at the hospital.
Abduction, rape, forced conversion, and marriage of minor Hindu girls are common occurrences in the Islamic Republic of Pakistan. At least 1000 minority girls suffer such sex slavery every year in Sindh province alone. Apart from this, Pakistani Hindus face systemic and institutionalized discrimination and neglect, such as frequent attacks on Hindu temples, demonization of education curriculum, police and judicial antipathy, denial of fundamental rights, and even untouchability.
1) Pakistani Hindus are living in fear & scared after temple attacks in metropolitan city Karachi (Tweet archived)
2) On June 16, 2022, at village Sodho Chutto, Uderolal, Sindh, Pakistan a Hindu pregnant lady Soni w/o Chetan Kohli was raped by Muslim Suleman Chutto in the banana fields. Influential people threatened dire consequences if the matter was taken to the police but later police took notice based on media reports.
Attacks on Hindus in Bangladesh are relentless and designed to gradually cleanse the religious minority from the country. As per a study by Prof. Abul Barakat of Dhaka University, there will be no Hindus left in Bangladesh by 2050 due to systemic and institutionalized persecution. Temple desecration, land grabbing, mob attacks after false blasphemy charges, rape/forced conversion of women, and hate speech are some of the tools used to intimidate and drive Hindus out.
1) On June 12, unidentified miscreants attacked Hindu homes and destroyed, looted & vandalized Hindu homes at Chitalmari, Morelganj, Bagerhat Bangladesh (Tweet archived).
2) Hindu homes were vandalized and looted on June 17 at Kalipur, Bashkhali, Chittagong in Bangladesh (Tweet archived).
1) A Palestinian Islamic scholar Nidhal Siam addressed a rally at Al-Aqsa mosque in the old Jerusalem city of Israel on 12 June where he called for jihad against “filthy, cow-worshipping” Hindus to “discipline and eradicate” them. He asked Pakistan to take special responsibility to take the lead in ‘disciplining Hindus’.
Most hate crimes are driven by anti-Hindu bigotry encoded in certain religious teachings and political ideologies. While the anti-Hindu hate in Islamic countries is obvious, there is another subtler form of anti-Hindu sentiment within institutions and the public sphere of ostensibly secular states (like India) that provides an enabling environment for Hinduphobia and hate crimes. This subtle, everyday discrimination can be missed unless one studies prevailing laws and patterns. The gradual ban on firecrackers during Diwali is a good example – it might seem pollution-related on the surface, but the double standards at play become clear when one looks at the larger picture of restrictions on Hindu festivals, and the lack of sound reasoning behind the ban.
We request all readers to share other anti-Hindu hate crimes that we might have missed in this period in the comments below or by dropping an email to [email protected] We also solicit support in the maintenance of the Hindu human rights tracker database started by us.