Attacks on Hindus and Hindu Dharma, both in Bharat and overseas, are frequent and unrelenting. In many regions of the world, this persecution is like a genocide slowly unfolding before our eyes. For decades, the true depth and breadth of these attacks, driven by disturbing anti-Hindu bigotry, have been ignored by the world. From murders, forced conversions, land grabs, assault on festivals, desecration of temples and murtis, hate speech, and sexual violence to institutionalized & legal discrimination, Hindus are facing an increasing assault on their very existence along with an unprecedented Hindu hatred.
In this weekly summary for the period from 22 May to 28 May 2022, we hope to provide a snapshot of such crimes and hopefully awaken more people around the world to this human rights crisis:
1) Surat police have booked one Rafiq Mansoor for hurting the religious sentiments of Hindus. He is a resident of Mandavi Taluk’s Tadkeshwar Village. Locals have demanded strong action against Mansoor.
2) A woman has accused her Muslim husband and in-laws of harassing her and forcing her to convert to Islam. She has also alleged that they have been subjecting her to physical and mental torture.
3) Hindu organizations have lodged a complaint against a Christian school in Tamil Nadu for proselytizing underage children on the pretext of conducting summer classes. The children were taught how to love others and were given prizes for listening to the preaching.
4) Kydganj police in UP’s Prayagraj have booked one Mohammed Shahid for reportedly sexually exploiting a minor and forcing her to convert to Islam. The police have registered a case under sections of rape, fraud, POCSO Act, and prohibition of unlawful religious conversion.
5) Family members of a married Hindu woman accused one Jafar of trapping her and luring her. The duo was caught when they were on their way to getting married in court. The woman’s brother reached Ujjain along with Hindu organizations.
6) History-sheeter Shamsher alias Bablu Khan has been accused of murdering his ‘friend’ Shivdatt alias Shiva Bhalerao. He suspected that Shiva was having an affair with Khan’s live-in partner Asha Thakur. The murder took place 8 months ago.
7) A Muslim woman, her parents, and a cleric have been arrested for converting an underage boy forcefully and marrying him off to a woman. The woman is divorced and has kids. The 16-year-old Hindu boy was converted to Islam by the woman’s family after grooming him for a year.
8) India Today resorted to editing out the vibhuti tika in a news on teenage grandmaster (GM) Praggnanandhaa. The stark contrast in the images used by India Today and other media outlets is ample proof that the image was deliberately edited by the former.
9) Two incidents of brutality against Hindu priests have come forward, one from Madhya Pradesh’s (MP) Khandwa and the other from Uttar Pradesh’s (UP) Barabanki.
10) 25-year-old Vijaya Kamble was murdered by his Muslim girlfriend’s family in Karnataka’s Kalaburagi.
11) 21-year-old Lubna Shahzeen from Bareilly in UP did Ghar Wapsi to marry Bobby Kashyap and changed her name to Arohi. She has been receiving threats from her family and Muslim leaders.
11) A Pak Hindu refugee family was attacked by a mob of 300 Muslims in Rajasthan’s Jodhpur district. As per available information, the incident took place yesterday evening. The victim’s family had come to Jodhpur from Pakistan 12 years ago. At least four people including a woman were severely injured in the attack.
12) Bulandshahr police have arrested one Abbas and his two accomplices for attempting to kill his estranged wife. The police acted on the complaint registered by the 21-year-old woman who is a resident of Bulandshahr’s Jahangiribad.
Attacks on Hindus in Bangladesh are relentless and designed to gradually cleanse the religious minority from the country. As per a study by Prof. Abul Barakat of Dhaka University, there will be no Hindus left in Bangladesh by 2050 due to systemic and institutionalized persecution. Temple desecration, land grabbing, mob attacks after false blasphemy charges, rape/forced conversion of women, and hate speech are some of the tools used to intimidate and drive Hindus out.
Most hate crimes are driven by anti-Hindu bigotry encoded in certain religious teachings and political ideologies. While the anti-Hindu hate in Islamic countries is obvious, there is another subtler form of anti-Hindu sentiment within institutions and the public sphere of ostensibly secular states (like India) that provides an enabling environment for Hinduphobia and hate crimes. This subtle, everyday discrimination can be missed unless one studies prevailing laws and patterns. The gradual ban on firecrackers during Diwali is a good example – it might seem pollution-related on the surface, but the double standards at play become clear when one looks at the larger picture of restrictions on Hindu festivals, and the lack of sound reasoning behind the ban.
We request all readers to share other anti-Hindu hate crimes that we might have missed in this period in the comments below or by dropping an email to [email protected] We also solicit support in the maintenance of the Hindu human rights tracker database started by us.