Attacks on Hindus and Hindu Dharma, both in Bharat and overseas, are frequent and unrelenting. In many regions of the world, this persecution is like a genocide slowly unfolding before our eyes. For decades, the true depth and breadth of these attacks, driven by disturbing anti-Hindu bigotry, have been ignored by the world. From murders, sexual violence, forced conversions, land grab, assault on festivals, desecration of temples and murtis, hate speech, to institutionalized & legal discrimination, Hindus are facing an increasing assault on their very existence along with an unprecedented Hindu hatred.
In this weekly summary for the period from 15 to 21 November 2020, we hope to provide a snapshot of such crimes and hopefully awaken more people around the world to this human rights crisis:
1) In another case of grooming, a married Muslim doctor working in a private hospital in Baghpat has been accused by a divorced Hindu nurse of hiding his real identity and raping her over a period of 7 months under the pretext of marriage. As per the victim’s statement, the doctor started a relationship with her after assuming a fake identity and falsely stating that he was a divorcee. The victim is now six months pregnant, and when she asked the doctor to marry her citing her pregnancy he refused to marry her unless she converted to Islam; the doctor’s wife even kicked the nurse in the stomach.
2) A Mahakali murti in the 12th century Lakshmi Devi temple in Doddagaddavalli village, district Hassan, Karnataka, has been found broken. The temple is under the management of the ASI (Archaeological Survey of India).
3) Two tribal sisters from Tripura were gang-raped by their taxi driver and 5 others while returning home after visiting their cancer-ridden mother in a Assam hospital. The accused have been identified as Abdul Ahad, Abu Bakkar, Amir Ali, Sumon Ali, Samsul Uddin and Anowar Hussain. While two were arrested on Saturday, four of them have been rounded up on Sunday, a police officer said.
4) Uddhav Thackeray led MVA government followed the lead of West Bengal, Rajasthan, Delhi and several other states to ban the Chhath Puja at river banks, lakes, beaches and other water bodies in Maharashtra, citing Covid-19 concerns. The UP government on the other hand, while advising devotees to maintain social distancing and wear masks, directed district administrations to set up changing rooms and toilets for women at the ghats and ensure proper barricading at ponds and waterbodies.
5) Noida resident Sahil Khan tricked and married a Hindu girl by taking on a fake Hindu identity and is now demanding ₹25 lakhs to end the relationship. The victim has alleged that the man hid his true identity and used forged documents to keep his identity hidden. Noida Sector 20 police have registered a case based on the victim’s complaint. The accused is absconding and search for the culprit is ongoing.
6) A Hindu girl Kanwal successfully escaped from Muhammad Amir & others in Pakistan. But when she asked protection from judicial magistrate Dera Allah Yar, saying she was raped, tortured & that she was forcefully converted to Islam, the court refused to let her go with her parents as they are Hindus.
7.) Ex-Councillor and BJP leader Harish Sharma committed suicide, and his friend Rajesh Sharma too died in trying to save him, after continuous police pressure and threats over a case related to selling crackers on Diwali night. Local sources say that Sharma had intervened to assist cracker vendors being arrested by police. His daughter Anjali said that police continued harassing the family even after they met the Haryana Home Minister.
8.) Enraged over bursting firecrackers, villager Rashid beat up three boys, and killed Meena Devi, mother of one of the boys, in Etah, UP.
9.) A Muslim woman faked a Hindu identity to befriend a Hindu man from Delhi on Facebook. After marriage, when the man and his mother went to his wife’s hometown in Gonda, UP, he was forcefully converted and circumcised by the woman and her relatives who threatened to kill his mother. They also tried to extort Rs 80,000 from him.
10.) 46-year-old Delhi-based businessman Neeraj Gupta was beheaded, his body stuffed in a suitcase, taken aboard Rajdhani Express and dumped off in Bharuch, Gujarat by railways pantry car employee Zubair over an affair with his fiance, Faisal.
11.) A 14-year-old Hindu girl from Bengal was abducted, raped and forced to read nikahnama by Sohidul Rahman who took her to Rajkot, Gujarat.
12.) Aman Khan (19) kidnapped a 13-year-old Hindu girl in Faridabad, Harayana. The girl was recovered after a few days and handed over to her parents by police when the issue was raised in local media.
13.) 5 Hindus and one Muslim suffered injuries after a petty argument during adjoining cricket games on a school ground turned vicious with the Muslim side attacking Hindus in Udaipur, Rajasthan. After 3 accused were arrested, a Muslim mob went on the rampage.
14.) A Hindu youth Pintoo was killed in stone pelting between two groups over a petty argument started by a Muslim man Amaan, who had targeted Pintoo in the past too.
15.) Abdul Razak changed his name to Sanju, sported tilak and went to the holy Hindu town of Dharmasthala, Karnataka to trap a Hindu girl he had befriended on Facebook.
16.) Islamists set fire to Hindu houses in Ghopghat village of Bapat union, Faridpur district of Bangladesh and threatened the families to leave the country.
17.) A member of a Hindu family was seriously injured in an attack in Sirajganj district of Bangladesh by local goon Mohammed Kamal who wanted to grab their property and threatened them to leave the country.
18.) Valuable gold ornaments were stolen and a Maa Kali murti desecrated in Fultala Sikirhat, Khulna district, Bangladesh.
19.) Hindu girl Lata Halder was abducted on 15 November and forcibly converted into Islam by Mohammad Rased & Najir at Katiadi Karaniganj, Dhaka District, Bangladesh.
20.) Murtis stolen from a temple of ‘Thakur Bari’ in Bholachang village, Brahmanbaria district, Bangladesh were recovered on 19 November by police who arrested 5 Muslims.
21.) A Hindu man named Ramlal Babu was murdered by Mohammad Rafiqul Islam in Haripur, Kotwali, Rangpur district of Bangladesh.
22.) Islamists broke the head of the Shiva murti at the Kali temple of Palash Sarkar’s house in Mirakathi village under Jhalokati district, Bangladesh and also damaged the face of Maa Kali.
23.) A mob led by Mohammed Mizanur Rahman prevented Hindu man Bhavsindhu Mandal of Manikkhali village in Satkhira dist, Bangladesh from cutting paddy on his own land. They also hit Bhavsindhu on the head & severely injured him.
24.) Local Awami League leader Afazal Hossain and other Muslim neighbours are harassing a Hindu widow Kazali Mitra (40) living in Mathbaria, Pirojpur district, Bangladesh, by building a wall around her house to block her movement – their intent is to occupy the widow’s house.
25.) Hindu homes were attacked in Dhulpur, Kaptai, Chittagong district of Bangladesh on 17 November.
26.) Hindus protested their temple land being encroached by a local government project at Palashbari, Dinajpur district, Bangladesh.
27.) A Maa Kali murti was vandalised by local Muslim miscreants at Dulalpur, Narsingdi district, Bangladesh.
28.) Hindu girl Anita Roy was abducted and converted into Islam by Mohammad Kalam at Kharall, Dinajpur District, Bangladesh.
29.) A Hindu family was brutally attacked and looted by Mohammad Rahat, Suman Dinmohamad, Sajib and others at Muchipara village, Brahmanbaria district, Bangladesh.
Most hate crimes are driven by anti-Hindu bigotry encoded in certain religious teachings and political ideologies. While the anti-Hindu hate in Islamic countries is obvious, there is another subtler form of anti-Hindu sentiment within institutions and public sphere of ostensibly secular states (like India) that provides an enabling environment for Hinduphobia and hate crimes. This subtle, everyday discrimination can be missed unless one studies prevailing laws and patterns. The gradual ban on firecrackers during Diwali is a good example – it might seem pollution-related on the surface, but the double standards at play become clear when one looks at the larger picture of restrictions on Hindu festivals, and the lack of sound reasoning behind the ban.
We request all readers to share other anti-Hindu hate crimes that we might have missed in this period in comments below or by dropping an email to [email protected]. We also solicit support in maintenance of the Hindu human rights tracker database started by us.
Did you find this article useful? We’re a non-profit. Make a donation and help pay for our journalism.