A case of food poisoning was reported from Telangana Tribal Welfare Residential Hostel, Damaracherla, Nalgonda. Twenty-five minor girl students fell ill after consuming food prepared by an unhygienic Muslim cook, Ali.
Girls studying in the Damarcherla Tribal Girls Gurukul School fell ill and hospitalized after consuming food prepared by the hostel cook Ali. A few students speaking to the media said that Ali is filthy by nature and that his sweat drips all over the food that he prepares.
The children added that they had stopped having food from the hostel. Those who abstained could be the ones who were not affected by the food poisoning. The girls complained that the washrooms are in the worst condition, with no latches on the doors. Ali also has a habit of staring lecherously at the young girls and misbehaving with several.
The general opinion among the girls who spoke to the media was that they felt unsafe in the hostel environment and wanted the Muslim cook removed. Why was Ali allowed to interact with these young girls, and what was the hostel warden doing remains unexplained.
District Social Welfare Standing Committee chairman Narboina Swaroopa Rani Mudiraj paid a surprise visit to the hospital and expressed displeasure about unclean dormitories and classrooms. She advised the district-level superiors of the department to conduct surprise inspections at regular intervals to avoid food poison and rat biting incidents in the future, Hans India reported.
Concerned citizens tagged the Chairperson of the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights and sought immediate action. Some questioned the inaction of the District Collector as no action has been taken on the accused and concerned officials even after a week since the incident.