Attacks on Hindus and Hindu Dharma, both in Bharat and overseas, are frequent and unrelenting. In many regions of the world, this persecution is like a genocide slowly unfolding before our eyes. For decades, the world has ignored the actual depth and breadth of these attacks, driven by disturbing anti-Hindu bigotry. From murders, forced conversions, land grabs, assault on festivals, desecration of temples and murtis, hate speech, and sexual violence to institutionalized & legal discrimination, Hindus are facing an increasing assault on their very existence along with an unprecedented Hindu hatred.
In this weekly summary for the period from 02 October to 08 October 2022, we hope to provide a snapshot of such crimes and hopefully awaken more people around the world to this human rights crisis:
1) In another horrific case of gang rape by religiously indoctrinated Islamists, a six-month pregnant Hindu woman was drugged and gang-raped in Indore, Madhya Pradesh by four Muslim men.
2) On Tuesday (September 27) night, Rameez Ahmed broke into a Bhagwan Hanuman temple and vandalized the murti of the chief deity in Jharkhand’s Ranch. The incident occurred in Ranchi’s Hindpuri Police Station area and was discovered by the locals who saw the vandalized murti the following morning.
3) A Garba event at a school in Nadiad’s Hataj village has run into controversy after its Muslim teacher is said to have forced students to perform Tajia instead of Garba. The incident occurred on September 30 at Play Center School which had organized a one-day Garba event.
4) Muslim teachers and students have reportedly ganged up against the Hindu Principal of Agra’s Smt Joy Harris Girls Inter College in a bid to eliminate her from the college management board. The victim has been identified as Mamta Dixit who put out a video message in which she highlighted that she was being targeted on account of her being a Hindu.
5) A BJP MLA has accused Sikkim CM’s Political Secretary of promoting Christianity through his post. VHP has written to Home Minister Amit Shah attaching relevant news clippings of the secretary participating in Christian events. He has been accused of using his position which was accorded the status of an MoS to encourage conversion to Christianity.
6) Around ten people, including a Gram Rakshak Dal/Home Guard, were injured when a Muslim group attacked a Garba event in the Undhela village of Kheda district in Gujarat.
7) Domestic helper Yasir Ahmed main accused in the killing of J&K DG Prisons Hemant Kumar Lohia.
8) Hindu youth Madhusudan Modi was stabbed by a Muslim gang because he protested their molesting Hindu girls during a Garba dance held as part of Navratri celebrations in the Railway ground of Bikaner, Rajasthan.
9) Yet another Navratri celebration and Garba event has been attacked by Islamist radicals, this time in the Mandsaur district of Madhya Pradesh. Prime accused Salman Khan first started hitting the Durga Puja pandal on Saturday night with his bike while performing stunts.
10) An ancient Hindu temple was demolished in Gujarat’s Tapi and a church was constructed on the site. Hindus have also been prohibited from offering prayers. The temple was located in a village in the Songarh taluka where local Christians built a church named Mariam Mata’s Temple. The discovery was made when some Hindus reached the place to offer prayers at the temple on October 2.
11) A Muslim woman who tried to steal the bag of a devotee who had come for darshan in the Guruvayur temple was arrested. Haseena (40), a native of Meppadi, Wayanad, was arrested while her husband, Usman, who was with her, escaped. Haseena robbed a woman from Palakkad who had visited the temple.
Abduction, rape, forced conversion, and marriage of minor Hindu girls are common occurrences in the Islamic Republic of Pakistan. At least 1000 minority girls suffer such sex slavery every year in Sindh province alone. Apart from this, Pakistani Hindus face systemic and institutionalized discrimination and neglect, such as frequent attacks on Hindu temples, demonization of education curriculum, police and judicial antipathy, denial of fundamental rights, and even untouchability.
1) In a recent case, a poor Hindu woman was gang-raped and brutalized in medieval fashion by Muslim landlord Mohammad Akram’s men because she dared to ask for her wages. The incident occurred in Chak 108 DB village in Bahawalpur district of Punjab province, Pakistan on September 10.
1) Less than a week after the Brampton Municipal Corporation in Canada named a park as Shri Bhagavad Gita Park spread over 3.75 acres, an act of vandalism was reported there with the Indian High Commission denouncing it as a hate crime.
2) The reality that Hindus are not safe in any part of the Abrahamic-dominated world was once again vindicated when two Hindu temples were desecrated, vandalized and robbed last week in Trinidad and Tobago (T&T), the dual-island Caribbean nation near Venezuela.
Most hate crimes are driven by anti-Hindu bigotry encoded in certain religious teachings and political ideologies. While the anti-Hindu hate in Islamic countries is evident, there is another subtler form of anti-Hindu sentiment within institutions and the public sphere of ostensibly secular states (like India) that provides an enabling environment for Hinduphobia and hate crimes. This subtle, everyday discrimination can be missed unless one studies prevailing laws and patterns. The gradual ban on firecrackers during Diwali is a good example – it might seem pollution-related on the surface, but the double standards at play become apparent when one looks at the larger picture of restrictions on Hindu festivals and the lack of sound reasoning behind the ban.
We request all readers to share other anti-Hindu hate crimes that we might have missed in this period in the comments below or by dropping an email to [email protected] We also solicit support in maintaining the Hindu human rights tracker database.