Attacks on Hindus and Hindu Dharma, both in Bharat and overseas, are frequent and unrelenting. In many regions of the world, this persecution is like a genocide slowly unfolding before our eyes. For decades, the true depth and breadth of these attacks, driven by disturbing anti-Hindu bigotry, have been ignored by the world. From murders, forced conversions, land grabs, assault on festivals, desecration of temples and murtis, hate speech, and sexual violence to institutionalized & legal discrimination, Hindus are facing an increasing assault on their very existence along with an unprecedented Hindu hatred.
In this weekly summary for the period from 5 June to 11 June 2022, we hope to provide a snapshot of such crimes and hopefully awaken more people around the world to this human rights crisis:
1) A Periyarist, Communist, and Ambedkarite rally in Tamil Nadu abused Hindu deities Amman, Krishna, and Ayyappa. Communists and other political allies of DMK participated in the rally where the Hindu practice of piercing body parts as penance was also mocked.
2) Muslim mobs and Maulanas issuing death threats to Hindus for so-called blasphemy under the secular state has become a regular feature. In a stark reminder of the ‘sar tan se juda’ rally asking for Dasna Devi Mandir Mahant Swami Narsinghanand to be beheaded for his alleged blasphemous comments on Mohammed, two instances of Muslim extremism have come to the fore.
3) Complaints of religious conversion targeting tribals and school children have emerged from Nilgiri and Theni districts in Tamil Nadu. Hindu outfits have alleged that pastors from Kochi are luring tribals with biryani and sweets to convert them to Christianity.
4) The Madras High Court has directed the Tamil Nadu government to remove a church that has encroached on an octogenarian’s property. A pastor had built the church on the rented property and refused to leave even after the court order.
5) A Hindu woman from Madhya Pradesh’s (MP) Bhopal has accused colleague Nehal Khan of cheating her and forcing her to adopt Islam. The victim Nidhi*, a psychiatrist by profession, has filed a police complaint alleging fraud, physical assault, and insult by Khan owing to her Hindu identity. Furthermore, she has also accused him of trapping her in a relationship by hiding his Muslim identity.
6) In a shockingly inhumane incident, a 16-year-old girl was raped for five years and forced to sell embryos by her Muslim step-father in Tamil Nadu. She has been facing sexual abuse since she was 12 years old from the moment she attained puberty.
7) Following complaints from Hindu organizations, Uppinangady police raided the Moriah prayer center in Nelliadi town of Dakshina Kannada and prevented an attempt at illegal conversion. The victims were from the Shivamogga district in central Karnataka. Police rescued them from the clutches of the Christian conversion mafia.
8) In an open demonstration of what is usually said behind closed doors by fundamentalist clerics, Muslim cleric Adil Gafoor Ganai indulged in hateful anti-Hindu vitriolic, and threatened to behead Nupur Sharma and journalist Ashish Kohli (who tweeted “I stand with Nupur Sharma”), before ending with the standard phrase “our religion (Islam) is peace-loving.”
9) The HRCE minister has threatened a seer for exposing the misdoings of the department in managing temples in Tamil Nadu. The seer had accused HRCE of corruption and sought the HRCE board to be dissolved and temple management is handed over to seers and dharma gurus. In response, the minister threatened him saying he knows how to silence the seer.
10) The rioting on Mohammed row has now reached West Bengal, and the situation is beyond control. On Thursday, June 9, a mob of unruly rioters jammed the National Highway connecting Howrah and Kolkata. This led to a significant traffic crisis and public inconvenience. The demonstration was in response to former BJP spokesperson Nupur Sharma’s remarks about the Prophet of Islam on a Live TV debate.
11) The West Bengal police have arrested a young Hindu Bengali girl in the midst of Islamist violence engulfing the state. The shocking developments are reported from the Beldanga Police Station area of the Berhampore subdivision of West Bengal’s Murshidabad district. The incident occurred on Friday, June 10, when unruly mobs of Islamists descended over several areas of Kolkata and Howrah.
Abduction, rape, forced conversion, and marriage of minor Hindu girls are common occurrences in the Islamic Republic of Pakistan. At least 1000 minority girls suffer such sex slavery every year in Sindh province alone. Apart from this, Pakistani Hindus face systemic and institutionalized discrimination and neglect, such as frequent attacks on Hindu temples, demonization of education curriculum, police and judicial antipathy, denial of fundamental rights, and even untouchability.
1) A Hindu temple in Karachi has been vandalized, causing fear and panic among members of the community living in the Pakistani city, a media report said on Thursday. According to The Express Tribune report, the incident took place on Wednesday at the Shri Mari Maata temple in the city’s Korangi area.
1) Attack on Hindu family on June 6, 2022 (Tweet archived)
2) Hindu woman was gang-raped and murdered on June 8, 2022 (Tweet archived)
Most hate crimes are driven by anti-Hindu bigotry encoded in certain religious teachings and political ideologies. While the anti-Hindu hate in Islamic countries is obvious, there is another subtler form of anti-Hindu sentiment within institutions and the public sphere of ostensibly secular states (like India) that provides an enabling environment for Hinduphobia and hate crimes. This subtle, everyday discrimination can be missed unless one studies prevailing laws and patterns. The gradual ban on firecrackers during Diwali is a good example – it might seem pollution-related on the surface, but the double standards at play become clear when one looks at the larger picture of restrictions on Hindu festivals, and the lack of sound reasoning behind the ban.
We request all readers to share other anti-Hindu hate crimes that we might have missed in this period in the comments below or by dropping an email to [email protected] We also solicit support in the maintenance of the Hindu human rights tracker database started by us.