A 35-year-old woman, Sunita, died while her husband Viru (41) and minor son Akash are battling for life after they were stabbed by their neighbour Mohammed Azad, in his 40s, over a trival scuffle on Wednesday evening at Khyala in West Delhi.
According to a senior police official, the incident took place around 7.30 pm when Sunita had a scuffle with her neighbour Mohammed Azad, while she was returning from market, over some petty issue.
“Sunita had an argument with Azad and she informed about the quarrel to her husband Viru and son Akash who then came to counter the accused but the quarrel turned violent and the accused stabbed them multiple times and fled the spot. Azad’s family also left the house fearing the consequences of his actions,” said the senior police official.
“Locals informed police regarding the incident following which a team was rushed to the spot. Sunita and Viru were taken Guru Gobind Singh Hospital at Khyala where Sunita succumbed to her injuries while her husband is critical. Their son is undergoing treatment at Deen Dayal Upadhyay Hospital,” said the senior police official.
“Police are also probing that if a quarrel took place between them earlier also and investigating the reason behind the quarrel. There are no CCTV cameras installed in the area to ascertain the exact sequence of the incident. A case has been registered under appropriate section at Khyala police station. Manhunt has been launched. Further investigation is on,” senior police official added.
Such stabbings and murders are not uncommon in Delhi-NCR:
- Feb 2018: 23-year-old photographer Ankit Saxena, the only child of his parents, had his throat slit in West Delhi’s Raghubir Nagar (just 2 km from Khyala where the latest murder occurred) by the father of his Muslim girlfriend, as part of a planned attack which also included the girl’s mother, minor brother and maternal uncle.
- March 2018: Rajbir Rathod (31), father of 3, dies after being thrashed by Muslim man in East Delhi
- Dec 2017: Kanti Prasad (40) stabbed to death with a screwdriver by Muslim neighbor, son injured in East Delhi
- Aug 2017: Hindu youth lynched to death by 6 Muslims in Delhi mall after minor scuffle
- July 2017: Muslim stalker stabs aspiring air-hostess, Riya Gautam, to death in East Delhi
- Mar 2016: 40-year-old dentist Dr. Pankaj Narang lynched to death by mob led by a Muslim family – brothers Nasir Khan (22) & and Amir Khan (21), mother Mesar.
Yet, in Aug 2017, on his last day as vice president, Vice President Hamid Ansari in an interview to Karan Thapar for Rajya Sabha TV said that “there is a growing sense of insecurity & unease among Muslims….intolerance is rising in the country.” And last month veteran actor Naseeruddin Shah had claimed that he worries for his children’s safety due to to rising (Hindu) intolerance.
Did you find this article useful? We’re a non-profit. Make a donation and help pay for our journalism.