A minor Dalit girl was set on fire by a youth from her village who had been stalking her for many days and demanding her mobile number. The girl suffered 95% burns and has been transferred to Varanasi in a critical condition. The accused youth, Shafi, was caught hold & thrashed by villagers & he too is undergoing treatment in hospital.
The incident occurred in Fariha village, Nizamabad police station area, Azamgarh district of UP. The 16-year-old girl lived with her parents and 3 other sisters. Shafi had been harassing the girl for many days. On Monday, when she was alone at home, he barged into the house and demanded she give her mobile number. When she refused, he poured oil on her and set her ablaze.
There is tension in the area and police force has been deployed in large numbers.
Such incidents of attacks on Dalit women by Muslim men are being seen in ever-increasing numbers.
- Recently, a teenage Dalit girl was drugged & raped by her neighbour Gulab Ali in Etah, UP.
- Two women and a minor girl of a Dalit family were assaulted by a gang of Muslim men in UP’s Pratapgarh.
- A Dalit Girl from Mainpuri, UP was abducted, raped, forcibly converted to Islam and married in Delhi.
- A Dalit woman on way to temple was molested by Muslim youth In Ghaziabad, UP.
- Bina Gautam, a Dalit woman with a handicapped husband and two daughters was attacked in her own house by her Muslim neighbors for refusing to convert to Islam and marry one of them.
- A Dalit woman, Chanda Devi, was harassed by sub-judge Naeem Ansari of Garhwa District Court to form sexual relations, convert to Islam and marry him.
The self-appointed left-liberal Dalit spokespersons selectively outrage over incidents like Una or cynically manipulate tragedies like Rohit Vemula’s suicide, but they are conspicuously silent over the victimisation of Dalits by Islamists. Both Pakistan and Bangladesh are a grim reminder of the fate that awaits poor Hindus, Dalit or otherwise, in Muslim majority areas. For how long will proponents of Dalit-Muslim unity keep brushing this ugly truth under the carpet?
Did you find this article useful? We’re a non-profit. Make a donation and help pay for our journalism.