BSS was established in 1917 by the great illustrious patriot saint Acharya Swami Pranavanandaji Maharaj. The organization is headquartered in Kolkata and has about fifty branches and associates throughout Bharat and around the world.
Nearly 500 monks and Brahamacharis of BSS are running hundreds of charitable dispensaries, hospitals, mobile medical units, ambulances, patient homes, cancer & leprosy hospitals, tribal welfare centers, schools & technical institutes, women empowerment centers, youth welfare centers, and free residential education for nearly 5000 students ( in collaboration with Govt. of Bharat) in Jharkhand, Nagaland, Assam, Tripura, Arunachal Pradesh, Gujarat, West Bengal etc.
The organization also carries our relief work during times of natural calamities like flood, famine, earthquake in any part of the country.