In a harrowing case from Pune, a 14-year-old girl was kidnapped from the railway station, held captive for 2 days and gang-raped by 13 men. Prime accused auto-rickshaw driver Mashak Abdulmajid Kanyal found the girl, who had gone to meet a friend, alone at the station around 10.30 PM on August 31. Offering to take her home, he instead took her to a lodge and raped her, before calling his friends who also proceeded to rape the girl.
The girl was taken to six different locations in the city by the ones who assaulted her. The 13 men are suspected to have all assaulted her in one way or the other within the two days during which she was captive. In a harrowing account, the girl has told the police that she was deprived of sleep, clothes, her phone, and even food while she was captive. She was only given clothes while travelling from one place to another.
Afterwards, the accused dropped the girl back at the railway station on September 2 and threatened her to leave Pune. She went to Mumbai by train, where she met her friend and from there the two proceeded to Himachal by train.
Till now, a total of 14 persons including two Indian Railways class IV employees have been arrested in the case. Indian Railways have suspended the two arrested employees who are from the electrical department. The 14th accused is her 19-year-old friend, a labourer hailing from Bihar. While the friend was not among the men who kidnapped and raped her, he was found with her in Chandigarh by Railway Police and had made no effort to report the incident to the police.
As per Punekar news, those arrested for gang-raping the girl are:
- Mashaq Abdulmajid Kanyal (27), autorickshaw driver from Vaidwadi in Hadapsar
- Akbar Umar Shaikh (32), AC Repair mechanic from Juna Bazar
- Rafiq Murtaja Shaikh (32), autorickshaw driver from Juna Bazar
- Azharuddin Islamuddin Ansari (27), autorickshaw driver from Kasewadi
- Prashant Samuel Gaikwad (32), occupation – service, resident of Tadiwala Road
- Rajkumar Ramangina Prasad (21), occupation – service, resident of Ghorpadi
- Noib Naim Khan (24), autorickshaw driver from Bopodi
- Meerawali alias Meera Aziz Shaikh (24), carpenter from Juna Bazar
- Asif Firoz Pathan (36), autorickshaw driver from Lohiyanagar
- Shahjur alias Siraj Saheblal Chhaparband (28), watchman from Kondhwa
- Sameer Mahboob Shaikh (19), occupation- fabrication, resident of Kondhwa
- Firoz alias Shahrukh Saheblal Shaikh (22), plumber from Kondhwa
- Mahboob alias Gaus Satar Shaikh (23), labourer from Kondhwa
How police traced the accused and found the survivor
The girl’s father, a gardener/labourer, lodged her missing complaint on September 1 at Wanowrie police station. Her mother is bed-ridden. While checking CCTV footage, cops saw the girl going with an autorickshaw driver at the railway station. They zeroed in on the prime accused and he revealed the names of his accomplices during interrogation.
“Investigations have revealed that after the girl was released, she reached Mumbai by train and met the youth in Dadar on September 2. The duo then boarded a train from Dadar railway station to reach Himachal Pradesh where the boy does small-time jobs. By this time, the police sent wireless message to the railway police from where the train was passing to trace them. The Chandigarh railway police found the girl and detained the boy on September 4. A team from the Wanowrie police reached there the next day and brought the duo to Pune on September 6,” said Pune police commissioner Amitabh Gupta.
A case has been registered under Sections 363 (kidnapping), 376(d)(a), 377 (unnatural sex), and 34 (common intention) of the Indian Penal Code along with Sections 4(2), 5(g), 6, 8, and 12 of Protection of Children from Sexual Offence Act at Wanowrie police station.
Did you find this article useful? We’re a non-profit. Make a donation and help pay for our journalism.
HinduPost is now on Telegram. For the best reports & opinion on issues concerning Hindu society, subscribe to HinduPost on Telegram.