Attacks on Hindus and Hindu Dharma, both in Bharat and overseas, are frequent and unrelenting. In many regions of the world, this persecution is like a genocide slowly unfolding before our eyes. For decades, the true depth and breadth of these attacks, driven by disturbing anti-Hindu bigotry, have been ignored by the world. From murders, forced conversions, land grabs, assault on festivals, desecration of temples and murtis, hate speech, sexual violence to institutionalized & legal discrimination, Hindus are facing an increasing assault on their very existence along with an unprecedented Hindu hatred.
In this weekly summary for the period from 18 July 2021 to 24 July 2021, we hope to provide a snapshot of such crimes and hopefully awaken more people around the world to this human rights crisis:
1) The Assam Police, with the help of their Kerala counterparts, have rescued nine girls who were trafficked to the south Indian state and arrested two human traffickers, a top police officer said. Special Director General of Police G.P. Singh said that the girls belonging to five Assam districts — Hojai, Nagaon, Sonitpur, Morigaon, and Kamrup Rural — and the two accused — Muffazul Haque (Hojai) and Rakbul Hussain (Nagaon) are being brought back to the state.
2) An innocent Hindu man, who was framed by two Muslim men and was forced to spend two years in a Saudi jail on charges of blasphemy, is finally set to walk free. Harish Bangera hails from Karnataka and has been in a Saudi prison since December 2019. President of Mangaluru Association Saudi Arabia (MASA) Sathish Kumar Bajal issued a statement confirming his release while adding that his return ticket home has been sponsored by the association.
3) On June 14, the Church of South India’s (CSI) Tirunelveli diocese conducted a peculiar festival called Mambazha Sangam(Mango Sangam). Peculiarly this is the only festival that the church celebrates based on the Tamil Hindu calendar. This Mango Sangam festival begins on the last Tuesday of Tamil Month Aani and continues till the next day. Why would the church celebrate a festival based on Hindu customs? What could be the reason? Similar to how Christianity appropriated pagan festivals like Christmas and Halloween, the Mango festival is another such appropriation.
4) Dravidianists and their hatred for the Brahmin community is not exactly a secret. But their recent verbal diarrhea after BBC journalist Danish Siddique’s death has crossed limits by calling them ‘Noolibans’ meaning Taliban who wears janeu. With this a fresh wave of attacks on Brahmins has started in Tamil twitter, connecting them to every problem under the sun.
5) A recent incident has left the residents of the state shocked. Curiously, it was completely blacked out by the “national media.” On the morning of Saturday, July 17, a CD with threatening messages was recovered in front of Uttar Dinajpur Press Club. A masked man, in the video, identifying as Tousib Ali from the Islamist outfit threatened state government, commissions, and ministers of killing 13000 candidates who had passed the state’s employment examination conducted for the recruitment of Upper Primary school teachers.
6) At a time when the state has the highest number of daily new CoVID cases in Bharat, the Kerala government allowed total lock-down relaxations for three days in view of the Muslim festival, Bakrid. On the evening of July 17, they announced the same with relaxations scheduled on July 18, 19, and 20. According to the guidelines, unrestricted prayers/gatherings at mosques were allowed. This was while thousands of Hindu devotees were simultaneously denied entry to visit temples. This was in Kerala where Sabarimala Temple was off bounds and in UP, where Kanwar yatra was canceled. Curiously, UP has only 60-70 daily CoVID cases while Kerala has about 15000 cases per day.
7) Perhaps for the first time in history, the Muslim festival of Eid ul Adha was celebrated in the Hindu holy town of Badrinath yesterday. In 2018, the central government had approved a project called “Astha Path” to face-lift the temple premises in Badrinath. The contractor who was appointed to construct parking for this project employed 15 Muslims, who read the Namaz in the holy town.
8) In what could be a case of love jihad, a 24-year-old Muslim man has been arrested for allegedly raping a woman after having an affair with her by claiming himself to be a Hindu.
9) Administrators of a Christian home in Madurai, Tamil Nadu have been booked for hiding information about the rape of a mentally unstable Hindu woman. A 67-year-old employee of the home has been arrested for raping the woman repeatedly and impregnating her.
10) In an incident, accused Albert Fernandes has apologized in the temple for insulting Shri Durgaparmeshwari Goddess at Katilu by sending voice messages in abusive language. Albert Fernandes, a resident of Bajpe (Karnataka) is an employee in Mumbai. He had sent a voice message with abusive language to Dinesh, a Hindu, condemning Shri Durgaparmeshwari Goddess at Katilu. Hearing this message, Hindu organizations complained at Bajpe Police station. The Police arrested Albert Fernandes in Mumbai and brought him to Mangaluru. Fernandes accepted his crime and apologized in the Katilu temple, before Shri Durgaparmeshwari Goddess, saying with tears in his eyes, ‘I have made a mistake; I should not have done it. I have committed a crime. Thereafter the matter was settled by the leaders of the Hindu organizations at the Bajpe Police station.
11) A Hindu man Arvind, who was reportedly converted to Islam under threat and offer of Rs 10 Lac has expressed desire to return to Hinduism but he is being threatened with life by his Muslim associates. Only after the matter went viral on social media that the police recorded his statement and arrested Nadeem, Khaliq, and one other person for forced conversion.
12) Total 10 members of a Muslim family ambushed and murdered Kedarnath when he was doing construction work opposite his house. There was a dispute regarding the plot and Muslim mob severly beat up Kedarnath after threatening him. Kedarnath succumbed to injuries in hospital.
13) Debesh Barman, an active member of BJP from Raiganj South (Bisnupur) has been brutally murdered. The youth was found hanging from a tree. He had a TMC flag tied around his mouth. BJP has alleged TMC goons to be behind the murder.
14) Sunil Baksi had filed a complaint with the National Commission of Scheduled Tribes (NCST) as well. In his complaint to the NCST, Baksi had said that a mob comprising of members from the Muslim community had attacked his village in the aftermath of the results. Baksi said in the complaint that the mob entered their houses, destroyed furniture and other items, molested the women and even threatened to rape his wife. Around 15 houses were set on fire as per the complaint. Following the incident, they fled the village.
15) Yet another case of Grooming Jihad involving a minor has come to the fore in Madhya Pradesh’s Indore. Afzal (24) created a fake profile on Instagram under the name ‘Golu’ to befriend a minor Hindu girl. Afzal aka Golu introduced himself to the minor as a businessman dealing in coolers and freezers. Trapping her in his bogus story, he persuaded the 15-year-old teenager to elope with him. The girl agreed to flee just because Afzal professed that he does not consume intoxicants.
16) A case of Grooming Jihad has come to light in Sambhal district, Uttar Pradesh. As per reports, a man identified as Asif Qureshi, resident of the Chandausi region on Sambhal, lured a minor Hindu girl pretending to be Hindu using a fake name. He had told the girl that his name was Ashish. UP Police arrested Qureshi from Jaipur and rescued the girl. Reports suggest that Police found the girl living in a live-in relationship with Qureshi. While talking to ABP News, SP Sambhal said that the accused got an agreement of a live-in relationship in which he identified himself as Ashish.
1) South Africa is going through ethnic cleansing of people of Bharatiya origin. Riots and looting began on Sunday in Phoenix, a South African town about 25 kilometers northwest of Durban in KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) province.
2) The trolling of NASA intern Pratima Roy for an overt display of her Hindu identity has raised a serious issue about the dangers of creating a false dichotomy between science and religion, a clear instance of Western universalism. On the other hand, as reflected by Pratima Roy, Hindu dharma segues seamlessly between the two and views them as complementary.
Most hate crimes are driven by anti-Hindu bigotry encoded in certain religious teachings and political ideologies. While the anti-Hindu hate in Islamic countries is obvious, there is another subtler form of anti-Hindu sentiment within institutions and the public sphere of ostensibly secular states (like India) that provides an enabling environment for Hinduphobia and hate crimes. This subtle, everyday discrimination can be missed unless one studies prevailing laws and patterns. The gradual ban on firecrackers during Diwali is a good example – it might seem pollution-related on the surface, but the double standards at play become clear when one looks at the larger picture of restrictions on Hindu festivals, and the lack of sound reasoning behind the ban.
We request all readers to share other anti-Hindu hate crimes that we might have missed in this period in the comments below or by dropping an email to [email protected]. We also solicit support in the maintenance of the Hindu human rights tracker database started by us.
Did you find this article useful? We’re a non-profit. Make a donation and help pay for our journalism.