NIA has arrested Mrityunjay Kumar Singh belonging to the CPI (Maoist) cadre who is the key accused in the murder of four police personnel in Jharkhand. Singh was taken into NIA custody on 3 February 2021. NIA in its statement said that Singh has close connections with the top brass of the banned CPI (Maoist).
The NIA press release says:
- Today (03.02.2021), NIA arrested Mrityunjay Kumar Singh @ Sonu Singh, age 34yrs, s/o Santosh Singh, r/o Chandwa, Latehar District, Jharkhand, who is believed to have close nexus with CPI(Maoist) leadership, in connection with the case pertaining to the killing of 04 police personnel by the cadres of the above-proscribed organization.
- The case arose out of FIR No. 158/2019 dated 23.11.2019 registered at PS- Chandwa, District Latehar, Jharkhand, u/s 147, 148, 149, 452, 302, 353 & 379 of IPC, section 27 of Arms Act, section 17(i) & 17(ii) of Criminal Law Amendment Act and sections 10, 13, 17 & 18 of UA (P) Act. Subsequently, NIA re-registered the case as RC-No-25/2020/NIA/DLI on 24.06.2020 and took up the investigation.
- The case pertains to the attack on the police patrolling party by the cadres of CPI (Maoist), at around 2000 hrs on 22.11.2019, at Lukaiya More in District Latehar in which 04 police personnel were killed and their arms and ammunition were looted. The State Police had earlier arrested and charge-sheeted 6 accused persons.
- After taking over the investigation, NIA had conducted searches at several places in the districts of Latehar, Loherdagga, and Palamu. During one of the searches at the premises of Mrityunjay Kumar Singh @ Sonu Singh in Chandwa, unaccounted money amounting to Rs 2.64 crores was recovered.
- The investigation has also revealed that a day before the incident Mrityunjay Kumar Singh @ Sonu Singh had met Ravindra Ganjhu, Regional Committee Member of CPI (Maoist) at Bearjanga forest, and had provided him money for the attack.
- The arrested accused is being produced before the NIA Spl Court, Ranchi.
Did you find this article useful? We’re a non-profit. Make a donation and help pay for our journalism.