The NIA yesterday arrested 17 persons for their involvement in the Bengaluru riots which caused large-scale destruction to the DJ Halli and KG Halli Police Station in addition to the house of Congress Dalit MLA Srinivas Murthy’s house being burnt down and his brother’s house been vandalized over a Facebook reply by his nephew Naveen.
A fact-finding report that the riots were pre-planned and led by local Islamists who aimed to convert the area into a Muslim majority ghetto. The NIA also found incriminating evidence against SDPI confirming the latter’s involvement in the riots.
A statement released by the NIA in this regard states that among those arrested yesterday are the SDPI’s Bengaluru District President, KG Halli Ward President, and other senior leaders.
NIA took over the investigation of the case in September this year and has so far arrested 187 persons in the case and further investigations are ongoing.
The NIA press release says:
- Today (21.12.2020), NIA arrested seventeen SDPI/PFI leaders/activists for their involvement in the violent attack and large-scale rioting at KG Halli Police Station, Bengaluru on 11.8.2020 after a Facebook post by Naveen, nephew of Sh. Akhanda Srinivas Murthy, Congress MLA of Pulakeshi Nagar, Bengaluru.
- The case was originally registered as FIR no.229/ 2020, PS KG Halli, dtd.12.8.2020 and was reregistered as RC-35/ 2020/ NIA/ DLI dtd.21.9.2020 by NIA.
- Investigation so far has revealed that the SDPI leaders, namely, Md. Sharieff, President, Bengaluru District, SDPI, Imran Ahmed, President, KG Halli Ward, along with other senior leaders like Rubah Waqas, Shabbar Khan, and Shaik Ajmal had conducted meetings at Thanissandra and KG Halli wards in Bengaluru in the evening of 11.8.2020 wherein they conspired, mobilized and led the crowd gathered at KG Halli Police station to attack the police personnel, causing huge damage to the public and police station vehicles. Similarly, accused Abbas, SDPI President of Nagwara ward had also mobilized a large crowd at the KG Halli police station through his associates Azil Pasha, Irfan Khan, and Akbar Khan.
- The investigation also revealed the use of social media channels like Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp to spread terror among people and mobilized people from faraway places to gather at KG Halli Police Station. Accused Saddam, Sayed Sohel, [email protected] Shahrukh Khan were active social media users who participated in riots as well as instigated others to gather at the Police Station.
- In the case, so far, 187 accused persons have been arrested. Further investigation is continuing.
Did you find this article useful? We’re a non-profit. Make a donation and help pay for our journalism.